Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Say or Tell ?

Here are some general simple rules to follow when you use the words: 'say" or 'tell'.

With 'tell', we say who is told.
   (I told Bill to bring the book.) Who did I tell? Bill.
With 'say', we say what  is said.
   (I said that he should bring the book.)  What did I say?

Try these examples:
1. What did he _____?
2. Mary  ____ her sister to bring the tablecloth.
3. Everyone  ___ that they had finished the test.

4. They ___ us to come at 8:00 pm.
5. Sally ___   everyone about the accident.
6. Why didn't he ___ anything about the accident?

Beware there are exceptions!
Tell me a story. (Tell who a story?) This follows the rule.
Tell a lie. Tell the truth. Tell a story. (Correct, but does not follow the rule)
Say a story.  Say a lie.  Say the truth. (Not correct)

2 comments:

  1. say told said told told say ???
    Anyway..I like "No exceptions" ^____^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie! You are absolutely correct!!!!
    But I'm afraid that with English you will always be haunted by exceptions.

    ReplyDelete