Communication consists of a message, a sender, and a receiver.
The sender can imply, but the receiver can only infer.
Remember this easy rule: "imply" rhymes with "I." Therefore, "I imply" but "you infer."
WRONG: Are you inferring that I lied?
RIGHT: Are you implying that I lied?
If someone gets the idea from your behavior that you are not telling the truth, then he is inferring that you are a liar. But if he is subtly letting you know that he thinks so, then he is implying that you are a liar. You, of course, can infer from his implication that he thinks you are a liar.
IMPLY = to put the suggestion into the message (sender implies)
INFER = to take the suggestion out of the message (receiver infers)
IMPLICATION = what the sender has implied
INFERENCE = what the receiver has inferred
1) The facts (imply/infer) that Frank took the object.
a) imply
b) infer
b) infer
2) Do you (imply/infer) from what was said that we have any chance?
a) imply
b) infer
b) infer
3) What other (inference/implication) is possible?
a) inference
b) implication
b) implication
4) They are concerned that the (implication/inference) will be that they were at fault.
a) implication
b) inference
b) inference
5) It is reassuring to learn that you have drawn the (implication/inference) that Terry could not have been responsible.
a) implication
b) inference
b) inference
6) What do you (imply/infer) from his remarks?
a) imply
b) infer
b) infer

No comments:
Post a Comment