Sunday, March 13, 2011
"Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise."
Benjamin Franklin was among the first to suggest the idea of daylight savings time. In a 1784 essay he wrote that adjusting the clocks in the spring could be a good way to save on candles.
During World War I, many countries started adjusting their clocks during part of the year. The idea was to try to adjust daylight hours in the summer to more closely match the hours that people are awake. During World War I, the goal was to conserve fuel by lowering the need for artificial light.
The Energy Policy Act of 2005 mandated that now DST begins at 2 a.m. on the second Sunday of March and ends at 2 a.m. on the first Sunday in November.
Incidentally, states do not have to comply with the act and, in fact, two states, Arizona and Hawaii, do not.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

There are many people including me that don't like DST. The idea of changing times and adjusting schedules doesn't agree with everyone.
ReplyDeleteWhen I visited an American home in Atlanta I found out that their clock on the wall had never been adjusted for the DST. You know, China has the land as large as America. But China has only one CST. It means no time zone difference in China. Howver, they don't have any difficulties in their life with the only one CST.