Thursday, November 4, 2010

Word Meaning Challenge - Will you dare to oppose the Hulk?

Prefix   ob-, "against, toward"            Root    pone, pose,  "place, put"

           sub-,  "under" 
                            
These are the verbs:
oppose   - place, put against   (resist; work against)

suppose  -  place, put under  (believe to be likely)

What are the nouns?

Complete these sentences with words having the root pone/pose.
1. Our mayor will face strong _______________ in his campaign for reelection.
2. It is my ___________ that he will win, even though his ___________ has more political experience.

11 comments:

  1. 1. oppose
    2. supposition opposer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shellsea,
    It's good to hear from you again!
    I only have one clue for you regarding #1. The word must be a noun!

    Try again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For #1, I have two answers. one is opponent, the other one is opposition. Can I use either one for this question?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shellsea,
    If you want to use the word 'opponent', you would have to say, "Our mayor will face a strong opponent."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Felice,
    The answers I guess are:
    1. opposition
    2. supposition

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chong,
    Your answers look good, but there are 2 blanks for sentence #2.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Felice.
    I send the revised answers as follows.
    1. opposition
    2. supposition, opposition

    Haste makes waste, right?
    I always have to keep it in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chong,
    Here is another proverb to consider:
    "The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." - Michael Altshuler
    and another -
    "If it weren't for the last minute, a lot of things wouldn't get done." - Michael S. Traylor
    and here is a play on words -
    "Ordinary people think merely how they will spend their time, a man of intellect tries to use it." - Schopenhauer

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1,opposition

    2,supposition opposite

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grace,
    Here is the answer:
    It is my supposition that he will win, even though his opponent has more political experience.
    Good job! This was a tough one!

    ReplyDelete