Idioms 1
1. Q: Jack has egg ______ because he couldn't remember how to spell "Batman"!
on his teeth
on his face
on his shirt
on his fingers
on his face
on his shirt
on his fingers
2. Q: As the maestro lifted his baton the theater was so still you could hear _____.
his heartbeat
a pin drop
bird wings
the drum beating
a pin drop
bird wings
the drum beating
3. Q: I don't agree with you, but your idea certainly gives me food _____.
for fun
for consider
for thought
for thinking
for consider
for thought
for thinking
4. Q: I think I understand the nuts and _____ of the operation.
screws
hammer
nails
bolts
hammer
nails
bolts
5. Q: I'm afraid hip hop isn't my cup of _____.
tea
java
coffee
wine
java
coffee
wine
6. Q: Just a moment... I've got the answer on the ____ of my tongue.
top
tap
tip
back
tap
tip
back
7. Q: Look, I will pay you back. Would you please call the ____?!
hunters off
tigers off
dogs off
apes off
tigers off
dogs off
apes off
8. Q: Ever since he married Jane, he's had a new ____ on life.
rent
lease
title
loan
lease
title
loan
9. Q: Oh, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that. I guess I really put my _____ in my mouth.
foot
hand
elbow
knee
hand
elbow
knee
10. Q: I'll be back in the twinkling of ____.
an eye
a lighting bolt
a smile
a laugh
a lighting bolt
a smile
a laugh

My final answers are as belows:
ReplyDelete1. on his fingers
2. a pin drop
3. for thought
4. bolts
5. tea
6. tip
7. dogs off
8. lease
9. hand
10. an eye
Chong,
ReplyDeleteYou are brave to tackle the American idiom. Unfortunately, you will have to reconsider you answers to number 1 and 9. Good Luck.
I am trying to answer what I incorrected again.
ReplyDelete1. on his teeth
9. foot
Felice, let me know the correct answers for them if they are not right answers.
Chong,
ReplyDeleteBoth these idioms have to do with embarrassment. Number 9 is talking about saying something embarrassing.put your foot in your mouth
Meaning: If you put your foot in your mouth you say or do the wrong thing and usually make matters worse.
For example:
* I really put my foot in my mouth when I asked her how her husband was. I forgot that he died last year.
The same is with egg on your face. If someone has egg on their face, they are made to look foolish or embarrassed. Perhaps this originates with the practice of throwing eggs at bad actors in the theater.
So #9 is foot and #1 is on his face.
Hello, Fellice
ReplyDeletePlease explain the meaning of the number of 7,8,10.
Have great Holidays with your family.
Kelly
Hi Kelly,
ReplyDelete#7 refers to hunting dogs. The ones that look for the rabbits or the fox. The dogs bark so the hunter can find the animal and then kill it. So if you owe money, the bank or the person you owe the money to, is looking for you, They call and send letters, etc. until you pay.
#8 If someone finds new enthusiasm and energy for something, they have a new lease of life. They start over with fresh energy.
#10 When your eye twinkles, it is very fast- a very quick flash of light. You can wink, you can blink, and then your eye can twinkle.